Time is a constraint for each of us. Every morning you get up early, cooking breakfast and lunch, packing lunch boxes and getting ready for work. Oh yes ! I totally understand what you all go through. We always hunt for recipes which are less time consuming and are quick and at the same time nutritious and healthy.
Rava Appo/ Instant appe comes in the category of less work and more taste 🙂 A very quick, easy and tasty recipe which can be made in few minutes. These are made in a kadai specially designed for this and it’s called Appe pan/Paniyaram pan. This kadai has tiny molds in which we make appes. Its easily available in ant Indian Supermarket and you get two types in this. Non stick ones and the metal ones. Metal one needs seasoning but non-stick can be used right away.
I haven’t used any vegetables in this recipe today. Feel free to use grated carrots, beets, onion, green peas, tomato, capsicum. Any vegetable of your choice can be added to make them more delicious. I have used finest quality semolina/rava which is not roasted. I have tried this recipe twice before I am writing it here so you can trust me on the recipe written below. First time I tried using a little thick semolina and this time I tried with the thin one. I liked this one more and that is the reason it’s got a place in my blog today :)A best recipe for a “NO ONION NO GARLIC” day
Measurements used – 1 cup = 250 ml
Semolina/Rava (fine quality) – 1 cup
Rice powder – 1 tbsp
Curd/Yogurt – 1 cup (whisked)
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Urad dal/ Split white lentil – 1/2 tsp
Hing/Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig (chopped)
Grated coconut -2 tbsp
Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp (chopped)
Oil for roasting the appes
- In a mixing bowl, transfer semolina, rice powder and curd. Mix well till incorporated.
- In a small pan/kadai, heat oil and add mustard seeds. Allow them to crackle. Add urad dal and wait for them to change the colour to golden brown and then add chopped curry leaves and hing/asafoetida.
- Now add this tadka on the rava-yogurt mixture and mix well. Add 1/2 cup water to this and mix gently.
- Add salt, coriander leaves, grated coconut and baking soda to this and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat the appe pan, grease the appe pan with little oil. Pour batter into the tiny molds and cook on high heat for 30 seconds. Do not cover and make sure the lower part is crisp enough to turn the other side round. Add very little oil on each appe. Let the middle part stay raw. That is when you get the round shaped appes. When you turn the under cooked appes, they form a nice round shape themselves. It does require practise 😛 Now switch the heat to low and turn the appes to the other side with the help of the back of a spoon or a sharp spatula. Roast on medium for few more seconds till they are golden in colour.
- Transfer to a serve ware and can be served with chutney
- You can use grated ginger to the above recipe which really enhances the flavour and makes it more tastier.
- As I mentioned earlier, you can add any choice of veggies to this.