Nutrition on whole ! I could not find a better word than that for Pesarattu. Green moong dal is very well known for its nutritional values. They have enormous amount of enzymes, proteins, vitamins and minerals.Sprouted moong dal is best for weight loss. And for fussy kids and adults (like mine) who do not like green moong dal and you are hell bent on feeding them this, we have this option of Pesarattu 🙂
This thin and crispy dosa with onion stuffing is an outstanding breakfast menu and belongs to Andhra cuisine. Pesarattu with a spicy chutney as an accompaniment is the best if you ask me.
The recipe doesn’t need too many ingredients and it does not even need fermentation. You just soak the moong dal and raw rice over night and next morning grind it with few other ingredients which definitely enhances the taste and start making dosas. Its very simple and you can definitely trust me on my statement !
Green Moong dal – 1 cup
Raw rice – 1/2 cup
Jeera/Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Ginger – 1″
Green chillies – 3
Salt to taste
Onions – 1 small (thinly sliced)
Green chilli – 1 ( finely chopped)
Coriander leaves – finely chopped
Oil for roasting dosas
- Soak green moon dal and rice seperately in water overnight
- In a small mixing bowl mix together the ingredients mentioned under “stuffing” and mix well
- Next morning, transfer soaked moongdal, rice, green chillies, cumin seeds and ginger. Blend it to a smooth paste. Transfer it into a large bowl
- Add salt and mix well
- Heat dosa pan, once hot, put a laddle full of batter in the centre of the pan and spread it into a thin dosa
- Add stuffing generously on the dosa and drizzle little oil around the edges to roast the dosa. Gently press it with a spatula/turner.
- Close the lid and allow it to cook on low flame for about a minute or two
- Now flip it on the other side with the help of a turner and roast for few more seconds.
- Transfer it into a serving plate and repeat the same process for the remaining dosa batter.
- You can directly add the stuffing mixture into the dosa batter if you wish to. My son doesn’t like it and hence I have topped it on the dosa for us.
- Instead of soaked green moong dal, you can use sprouted moong dal which ensures even more nutrition
- With the same batter you can also make thick dosas.