Chow Chow bath is a breakfast recipe belonging to Karnataka cuisine. This is nothing but a combination of equal amount of kesari bath and khara bath. Kesari bath is very similar to sooji ka halwa and khara bath is similar to upma. One sweet and the other is savoury versions of rava are served with a spicy coconut chutney as an accompaniment.
Uppittu kesari bath being an outstanding combination of a sweet and savoury is widely liked by many people. I have seen many mix both of these in each bite, like me 🙂 A little bit of kesari bath and little bit of khara bath together in each bite gives a divine taste. You can find this breakfast recipes in many darshini’s in Bangalore and other parts of Karnataka. A total NO-Miss recipe which you have to try in case you visit Bangalore 🙂
Khara bath recipe :
Roasted rava – 1 cup
Boiling Water – 2 cups (approx)
Ghee/Clarified butter – 2 tbsp
Vangi bath powder – 1 tbsp
Onion – 1 medium (finely chopped)
Tomato – 1 medium (finely chopped)
Ginger – 1″ (finely grated)
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida – a pinch
Broken cashews – as required
Green chilly – 1 (chopped)
Curry leaves – 1 spring
Coriander leaves – 3 tbsp (chopped)
Salt to taste
Kesari bath recipe:
Super fine Rava – 1/2 cup
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Boiling water – 1 cup
Ghee/Clarified butter – 1/8 cup
Broken cashew – as required
Raisins – as required
Orange food colour – a pinch (optional)
Cardamom powder – a pinch
Kesari bath :
- In a non stick kadai, add ghee and allow it to heat
- Fry cashews till it changes its colour and set aside. Similarly fry raisins till they fluff up. Set aside
- In the same pan, add super fine un-roasted rava and roast it on low flame continuously till aromatic
- Now add 1 cup to this slowly and whisk everything together with no lumps.
- Add food colour and cardamom powder. Mix everything gently.
- Close the lid and let it cook
- Once it cooks, add sugar to the cooked rava and mix together
- Cook for further few minutes till sugar melts and incorporates well.
- Add fried cashews and raisins to this and mix
- Serve it warm 🙂
Khara bath recipe :
- In a kadhai, add ghee/clarified butter and allow it to heat
- Add mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves. Wait for the curry leaves to curl up
- Add asafoetida and broken cashews. Wait for the cashews to change colour slightly
- Add chopped green chillies and onion. Saute for few minutes till onions turn translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes and grated ginger. Continue frying till tomatoes turn mushy
- Add vangi bath powder and fry further.
- Add salt and 2 cups boiling water
- Check for salt and adjust. The water should be slightly salty
- Now add 1 cup roasted rava slowly stirring it continuously into the boiling water
- Make sure there are no lumps.
- Close the lid of kadhai and cook till done.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and mix
- Serve equal portions of Khara and kesari bath with fresh coconut chutney and a cup of hot tea/coffee.