When I was a kid, I remembering ordering Tomato soup whenever we visited a restaurant ! A comfort starter with a slight sweet taste. Red plum tomatoes are blanched and ground with few other spices and herbs to give an extraordinary taste.
One of the luscious rich healthy soup for all seasons ! Tomato Soup actually makes a light and healthy nourishing meal with few cubes of crunchy croutons !
Tomato Soup can be introduced to your infant as a first food ! Spinach soup is also another option for your infant to start with solids !
There are various types n methods of Tomato soups but this recipe is inculcated from my mother.
Plump red tomatoes – 5 medium
Onion – 1 medium
Garlic – 2 pods
Bay leaf – 1
Peppercorn – 5-6
Salt to taste
Corn flour/Cornstarch – 1 tsp ( mixed with 2 tbsp water )
Water – 1 cup
Sugar – 1 tsp (optional)
Butter – 1 tbsp
Croutons – as required
- In a large vessel boil enough quantity water. Immerse tomatoes in this and let it boil on low flame for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and set aside
- Meanwhile, in a pan, add butter. Allow it to heat
- Add chopped garlic and onions. Saute for few minutes
- Add bay leaf, peppercorns and continue sauteing
- Add salt, sugar and mix. Turn off the heat and set aside
- Now peel the blanched tomatoe skin and chop them roughly
- Transfer these tomatoes and onion mixture into a blender.
- Blend it till everything is incorporated well
- Transfer this in a large and deep vessel and bring it toboilby adding a cup of water
- Now add the cornstarch paste to this and stir continuously
- Serve hot topping the soup with few crunchy croutons 🙂
- You also can add fresh basil leaves to the onion mixture to enrich the taste
- Adding boiled beetroot and carrot while blending gives soup red colour
- You also can add a tsp of chilli powder to the onion mixture in case you want to make the soup spicy
- Adding sugar is totally optional
- You can also garnish with fresh cream 🙂