Yet another Dosa recipe which I learnt from my mother. This also falls into the “No fermentation” Category.
The recipe is very simple yet the outcome is tasty.
Cucumber also has a major water content and is best during summers as it keeps you away from dehydration. Another point here is, cucumber has vitamin C and caffeic, acid both of which helps in soothing skin irritation and reduce swelling. These prevent water retention, which may explain why cucumbers used topically are often helpful for swollen eyes, burns and dermatitis. Seriously, cucumbers are a great treat for your skin. As the have the same pH as our skin. They also possess hydrating, nourishing and astringent properties.
The above recipe mentioned is an easy one and is apt for a busy morning. I have followed the exact neer dosa recipe here as my family does not like thick dosas. The same batter measurement is used to make thick cucumber dosas as well. As soon as grind the rice with coconut. Transfer it to a large vessel add salt and grated cucumber. Mix everything well and roast dosas (as a regular dosa) But I somehow do not like as this dosa turns our thick. You see what you want 🙂
Cucumber – 2 medium (peeled and grated discarding the middle part)
Dosa rice/ sona masuri – 1 cup
Grated coconut – 1/8 cup
Salt to taste
Oil for making dosas
- Soak rice for 5-6 hours or you can soak it overnight as well.
- Next morning grind this and grated coconut together to a fine paste
- Transfer it into a wide bowl and add water till you have a thin consistency batter. The batter should be liquid-y
- Add salt and grated cucumber.
- Mix well
- Set aside for ten mins and spread dosas on a hot tawa.
- Serve it with any desired chutney
- Make sure you pour a ladle full of batter only when the tawa/Dosa pan is very hot!
- Spreading the dosa is a little tricky as the batter is liquid-y. For beginners till you get a hang on spreading it thin what you can do is, use a non Stick pan. Once it’s hot add a little oil to it. Spread batter at one side of the tawa and with the other hand rotate the tawa using its handle. Till it covers the dosa pan fully.