Here I am with another interesting 5 minute recipe which is absolutely tasty and one of my husband’s favourite. This salad doesn’t require many ingredients. Cucumber, mustard seeds and yogurt are all the ingredients it demands for. Oh yes! and salt 🙂
I have used fresh home made yogurt/curd. You can also use a store bought plain yogurt. This recipe doesnt require any green chillies or red chillies for the spice because the spice is contributed by the freshly pounded mustard seeds. Mustard seeds are pound in a mortar and pestle into a coarse powder and added to the chopped cucumber and yougurt is added to this. You also can add a pinch of sugar to make it sweet and salt or just let it be 🙂
Cucumber – 2 (washed, peeled and chopped into small cubes)
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Yogurt/Curd – 1 cup
Salt to taste
- Transfer the chopped cucumber into a mixing bowl
- In a mortar and pestle add 1 tsp of mustard seeds and pound them till all the seeds crack and you get a coarse mustard powder
- Add this mustard powder to the chopped cucumber and mix well
- Add yogurt and salt to taste
- Mix everything well till incorporated
- Isn’t it easy 🙂 ?
- You can also add a pinch of sugar in step 4 if you would like to add a little bit of sweetness
- You can also use a small blender to pulse the mustard seeds. As it is just a tsp, mortar and pestle would be a great choice.
- Be careful when you pound the mustard seeds in a mortar and pestle. The more harder you pound the more chances of messing your kitchen as the mustard jumps out right from the mortar onto your kitchen slab and floor 🙂