One of the versatile chutney next to Mint chutney. Most widely used in Indian Chaats. I make sure I make meetha chutney and hari chutney regularly. I always have them stored in my refrigerator. As an accompaniment, Date tamarind chutney serves the best. Be it, Sev puri, pani puri or samosa. This chutney enhances the taste. I am a huge Indian Chaat fan. So, this chutney is always there in store for my chaats 🙂
Most widely known as Sweet chutney/ Meetha chutney. We can store it in the refrigerator for good 15-20 days 🙂
This sweet and tangy chutney is a must in every Indian kitchen who loves Chatpata Chaat 🙂
(Measurement used – 1 cup = 250ml)
Seedless Tamarind – 1/4 cup (tightly packed)
Seedless Dates – 1/4 cup (tightly packed and roughly chopped)
Grated jaggery – 1/4 cup
Ginger – 1 tsp (grated)
Roasted jeera powder – 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder – 1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Black salt or rock salt to taste
- In a mixing bowl, add seedless tamarind and soak it in 1/2 cup hot water and set aside for 20 minutes
- Transfer it in a pan and chopped dates to it.
- Cook this on medium flame for about 8-10 minutes
- Add grated jaggery to this and continue cooking
- You will notice that the mixture thickens
- Add roasted cumin powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder and grated ginger
- Mix everything and continue cooking for few more minutes
- Add black salt and mix well
- Turn off the burner and allow the mixture to cool down
- In a mixer, grind the above mixture into a smooth paste
- Add very little water if required
- Strain the chutney using a strainer
- Transfer it in an air tight container and store it in the refrigerator.
- Use as and when required 🙂
- You can use dry ginger powder instead of grated ginger.
- Also you can add a red chilli in the step 2 to add more spice
- The consistency of chutney can vary according to your will and wish. If you want it thin, just add more water to the chutney
- You can replace black salt with regular salt if you do not have. But also add little bit of chaat masala in that case.