Yet another “No Fermentation” dosa which is soft and very smooth in texture. The combination of ground urad dal and maida helps the dosas to be soft and I bet you cannot stop with just two dosas for your breakfast 🙂 This breakfast recipe is very very common in most of our Konkani household. Very apt for a working class who run short of time every morning. Use combination of ghee/clarified butter and oil for roasting the dosas. They give a nice aroma and flavour. I personally love this dosa very much and I usually make Green chilli-Coconut chutney with this as it suits best with this.
You can also check out other recipes on varieties of chutneys like green chilli chutney, goddukara, Red chilli chutney, Asafoetida chutney, Coconut-coriander chutney.
Measurement used – 1 cup = 210ml
Urad dal/ Split-white lentil – 1 cup
Maida/All purpose flour – 2 cups
Salt to taste
Ghee – 2 tbsp
Oil – 5 tbsp
Part 1 : Soaking urad dal and maida
Part 2: Grinding Urad dal
Part 3 : Roast the dosas on tawa
Part 1 : Soaking urad dal and Maida
- Start the previous night. Wash 1 cup urad dal 2 to 3 times
- Soak it in enough amount of water .cover with a lid
- Set aside
- In a mixing bowl, add maida.
- Add 4 cups water and using a whisk mix this very well and form a batter with no lumps.
- Add 2 more extra cups and cover it with a lid and set aside overnight.
Part 2 : Grinding urad dal
- Next morning, you will see that the maida would have settled down and if there are any impurities they float up. You have to discard the upper layer of the maida water and keep only the bottom part.
- Set this aside
- Drain the water from urad dal and preserve the water
- Grind the urad dal in a mixer grinder adding the soaked water little by little
- Grind to a smooth and fine paste.
- Now, transfer the ground urad dal into the maida bowl and mix very well till everything is incorporated.
- See to it that you mix everything well
- Add salt to taste
- Add water if required.
- Add 2 to 3 tsp oil to this and mix well
Part 3 : Roasting Dosas
- Heat a dosa tawa, allow it to heat.
- In a separate bowl, mix ghee + oil and mix well
- Set aside till next
- Grease dosa tawa with little oil and wipe it around the tawa with a kitchen tissue
- When tawa is hot and ready, pour a laddle full of batter in the centre and start spreading the dosa across the pan.
- Now, sprinkle the ghee+oil mixture around the dosa and allow it to roast.
- Flip it the other side with a turner and roast for few minutes.
- Fold it it and serve with a spicy chutney preferably 🙂
- It is not mandate that you have to soak the uraad dal overnight. If you are planning to make this for dinner, you can soak the urad dal for 2 hours and alongside soak maida and just before your dinner, you can grind and make dosas 🙂
- Or else you can also soak urad dal when free and grind them. Keep this in your refrigerator ready. when you wish to make dosas, take the ground batter out, bring this to room temperature, mix maida and required quantity water and mix well. Add 1/2 tsp baking soda and salt to taste and start roasting dosas. As the urad batter will be in the refrigerator, it needs an external agent to help fluff and give a nice soft dosa.