“JACKFRUIT” as the name says it all. “JACK” of all fruits 🙂
Jackfruit idlies are very famous in Coastal Karnataka. Jackfruit season gives us an opportunity to try varieties of delicacies using them. Jackfruit fritters, Payasam and ice cream and what not>??!! This recipe demands ripened jackfuits only to give them an excellent aroma and flavour. Trust me jackfruit lovers shall definitely love this. Serve these soft sweet idlies with a dollop of homemade ghee and believe me, the combo is simply outstanding.
Less ingredients but more taste and health. Lets have a small look at the uses of eating jackfruit. These exotic fruits are heavily loaded with nutrients and benefits. It has a rich source of vitamins, minerals, fibres, fat, carbohydrates and proteins. Yes ! it does contain calorie but they do not have cholesterol and saturated fats. Best for kids. You can make these for your little one’s meal box and I am sure he/she will love this.
Rice/Sona masuri/Dosa rice – 1 cup
Jaggery – 1/2 cup
Grated coconut – 3/4 cup
Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
Pinch of salt
Saffron – a large pinch
Baking soda – 1/4 tsp
Ghee/Clarified butter – to grease the idli moulds
Dividing it in parts:
Part 1 : Soak rice
Part 2 : Grind and making a batter
Part 3 :Steaming the idlies
Part 1 : Soak rice
- I have used dosa rice.
- First wash rice thoroughly with water
- Soak them in enough water for at least 1hour
Part 2 : Grinding and making a batter
- In a mixer grinder, add soaked rice (discard excess water), Jaggery, saffron, grated coconut and chopped jackfruit pieces.
- Grind this to a smooth batter
- Add little water if necessary
- Transfer the batter in a mixing bowl
- Add a pinch of salt and cardamom powder.
- Mix well
- Add 1/4 tsp Baking soda and mix well
Part 3 : Steaming idlies
- Grease idli moulds with ghee
- Scoop out some batter into the molds
- Steam them for nearly 15 minutes. Check if the idlies are done by inserting a tooth pick in the centre. If it comes out clean, the idlies are done. If not steam them for some more minutes
- Turn off the gas and allow the idlies to settle for 5 more minutes
- Remove the idlies from the mould with the help of a spoon or knife
- Serve them hot with dollop of ghee on top 🙂
- Adding baking soda is optional.I add them to make the idlies more softer
- Adjust the amount of jaggery you are using according to your taste preference