One of my perfectly baked lemon yogurt cake. The perfect balance of sweetness and sourness. This tangy, sweet and moist cake is definitely a perfect choice for a party. The use of yogurt in the recipe makes it more fluffier. I came across this recipe in a food channel and decided to give a try. I loved every bit of it. You can actually make this cake in a single bowl without using a hand blender. Gather all the ingredients and mix it one after the other (the order I have shown) and bake. We also include a technique in which we pour sugar-lime syrup on top of the baked cake which absorbs all the flavours of lemon and sugar thoroughly and the resultant cake is excellent in taste. If your taste buds love sour, then this recipe is made for you.
In the original recipe I had seen on the TV also showed to glaze the cake with sugar lime mix which I skipped. I garnished it with icing sugar on top instead. Probably I will try the glazing part next time I bake this cake 🙂 Things become tough when you have a 14 month old and a toddler keeping you on toes the whole day 🙂
For the cake:
All purpose flour/Maida – 1 1/2 cup
Yogurt/Curd – 1 cup
Baking powder – 2 tsp
Lemon zest – 2 tsp
Lemon extract – 1 tbsp
Vanilla essence – 2 tsp
Eggs – 3 (medium size)
Castor sugar – 1 cup
Butter – 1/2 cup
Salt – 1/4 tsp
For syrup :
Sugar – 1/4 cup
Lemon extract – 1/4 cup (freshly squeezed)
Water – 1 tbsp
Dividing it in parts :
Part 1 : Preheating the oven and Baking a cake
Part 2 : Making sugar syrup
Part 3 : Pouring the sugar syrup on top of the warm cake
Part 4 : Garnish with icing sugar
Part 1: Baking a cake
- Preheat the oven at 180C for ten minutes
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk sugar and butter till smooth
- Add yogurt and mix till well combined
- Add one egg each at a time and whisk well
- Add vanilla essence and lemon juice and mix
- Add Lemon zest and mix till everything combines well.
- Now directly sieve APF/Maida, salt and baking powder into the mixing bowl and with the help of a spatula and cut and fold technique mix everything well.
- Do this in parts so that no lumps are formed.
- Grease a baking dish with butter or parchment paper.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish
- Pat it on the kitchen counter so that excess air eliminates from the batter
- Place it in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or till a toothpick inserted at the centre comes out clean.
Part 2 : Making the sugar lemon syrup
- While the cake is baking, get the sugar syrup ready
- Transfer 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup freshly squeezed in a saucepan
- Place this on medium heat
- Also add little water
- Let the sugar dissolve completely
- Set this aside till we need it next
Part 3 : Topping the syrup on the prepared cake
- Check if the cake is well done
- If yes, keep it on the kitchen counter for 10 minutes
- Make some holes with the help of a toothpick on the cake
- Now, gently pour the prepared sugar syrup on top of the cake
- The cake absorbs all the syrup in the next 15 minutes
Part 4: Garnish with icing sugar
- De-mould the cake and with the help of a small strainer, sprinkle some icing sugar on the cake
- You can exclude using butter and add vegetable oil of your choice
- If you are using salted butter, do not add salt to the above recipe
- Adjust the level of sugar according to your preferences
- Lemon zest is important in this recipe. They enhance the taste
- If the cake gets too brown when your baking, lessen the temperature to 160C immediately.