Veg raw mango curry is a simple and tangy recipe which goes well with white rice. This recipe is custom made for people who like sour curries.
There are two versions I make. One with grinding the curry paste and the other with the spice powders and coconut milk. Today I have written the first version of mango curry by making the curry paste and cooking the vegetables in it. I tasted this first in a restaurant here in Calicut. Yummy side dish for laccha paratha, wheat paratha or roti.
Raw mango – 1 nos (cut in wedges discarding the seed)
Onion – 1 medium ( thinly sliced)
Tomato – 1 small (chopped)
Carrot – 1 medium (chopped lengthwise)
French beans – a few (chopped)
Potato – 1 medium (cut in wedges)
Grated coconut – 1/4 cup
Dry Red chillies – 4 nos
Green chilli – 1 nos
Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
Methi/fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Refined oil – 1 tbsp
Curry leaves – 1 spring
Garlic pods – 3
Salt to taste
Part 1 : Make curry paste
Part 2 : Saute vegetables in oil and add curry paste
Part 3 : Add Raw mango and cook till well done
Part 1 : Curry paste
- In a pan, roast red chillies and coriander seeds in 1/4 tsp oil
- Transfer it in a mixer jar along with grated coconut, green chilli, garlic and salt.
- Grind to a smooth paste. Set aside
Part 2: Saute veggies
- In a kadhai/pan, add oil and allow it to heat
- Add mustard seeds and allow it to crackle
- Add curry leaves and allow them to curl
- Add chopped onions and saute till they become translucent in colour
- Add other chopped vegetables and fry.
- Add curry paste and 1 cup water
- Bring this to boil
Part 3 : Add raw mangoes
- Add raw mango wedges and cook till all the vegetables and raw mangoes are tender.
- Serve hot with rice 🙂
- Adjust the spice level accordingly by increasing the amount of dry red chillies.
- If raw mango is too sour, you use only half of it.