Simple yet delicious main course we all long to eat. Very light but filling dish is Noodles which has all the goodness of vegetables stir fried on high heat. The veggies do not lose their crunch and goes very well with the noodles. Use as many varieties of vegetables you like but make sure you balance the quantity with the amount of noodles you are using. If you see the picture closely, the noodles present are white. That is because I haven’t used soy sauce or any other sauce for flavouring but have used mace and star anise which give them an authentic Chinese flavour. This method is the basic Chinese way which yields a flavourful and way aromatic than other noodles. Remember, all the Chinese cuisines which you do in your kitchen wok must be set on high heat because vegetables in these cuisines are not fully cooked.They are slightly under cooked to retain the crunch in them.
You can also have a look at paneer manchurian,
Measurements used : 1 cup = 210ml
Veg Noodles – 1 pack
Olive oil – 3 tbsp
Mixed vegetables – 1 1/2 cups ( I’ve used onion, carrot, beans, cabbage, red,yellow and green capsicum)
Mace (javithri) – 1 small strand
Star anise – 2 petals
Green chillies – 2 (slit)
Garlic – 1/2 tbsp (finely chopped)
Spring onions – for garnish
Salt as required
Dividing it in two parts
Part 1: Cook the noodles
Part 2 : Season them with the veggies
Part 1 : Cook the noodles
- In a wide and heavy bottomed vessel add 10 cups of water and bring this to boil.
- Add salt and 1 tbsp of olive oil
- Empty a packet of noodles in this and cook for the next 7-8 minutes.
- The noodles must be 80-85% cooked only
- Take it off from fire and drain
- Keep this under running cold water so that it stops any further cooking
- Spread this on a kitchen towel and set aside till we need it next
Part 2 : Mixing the noodles with veggies
- In a mortar and pestle, add mace and star anise petals and pound to a fine powder
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a wok and add garlic to it
- Fry for a while and add the pound mace and anise
- Saute for few seconds on high heat
- Add slit green chillies and vegetables and saute them on high heat for the next 4-5 minutes or till they are half done only.
- Add cooked noodles and salt
- Toss the noodles till it combines well with the veggies. Probably for another 3 minutes. Garnish with spring onions.
- Serve hot
- If you do not want to pound the anise and mace you can directly add them and saute in the hot oil for few minutes and discard them later. The oil would have absorbed all the flavours of mace and anise
- Make sure all the process when making noodles is on high heat only
- Go easy on salt. You add salt when cooking noodles. So watch out 🙂
- Use whole wheat or whole grain noodles if you do not want to use the regular ones