This is a vegetarian version of a Thai TomYum soup which is loaded with lime-y flavour. A mixture of Lemongrass, Kaffir lime leaves and Galangal gives the dish an outstanding fragrance and aroma. We cook vegetables in this flavourful water and add a Thai bird’s eye chilli for spice and your done. Galangal is a close friend of ginger 🙂 but not too strong in its flavour. If you do not find Kaffir lime leaves, just add more lemon juice to your soup and that should do the needful. Kaffir lime leaves give the dish an authentic taste though. If you cannot find bird’s eye chillies, replace it with regular green or red chilli (not the dry red chilli). The main ingredients are lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves. You can add in any mixture of chopped vegetables in them. I used onion, capsicums, cabbage, mushrooms, carrot and cilantro. You take a call on what you want 🙂
Mushrooms – 1 cup (chopped)
Onion – 1 medium ( thinly sliced)
Capsicums – 1/2 cup (thinly sliced)
Carrot – 2 small ( julienne)
Lemongrass – 1 stalks (crushed and cut into 1″ pieces)
Kaffir lime leaves – 4 (tear it with your hands)
Galangal – 5 slices
Light Soy sauce – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Hot chilli paste or red curry paste – 1 tsp
Bird’s eye chilli – 1
Cilantro/Dhaniya/ Coriander leaves – a few chopped
Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
Water – 1 lt
Part 1 : Prepare the Lime-y stock
Part 2 : Cook Vegetables in the stock
Part 3 : Season with salt, lemon juice, soy, red curry paste
Part 1 :
- In a large heavy and deep pan add water, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal pieces and bring this to boil.
- Strain and discard the lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves if you do not want them in the soup or you can also retain them if you like to eat them.
- The resultant should be light green water
Part 2 :
- In a low flame, keep this lime-y stock and add all the vegetables and bird’ eye chilli according to your taste
- Cook till the vegetables are well done
Part 3 :
- Add salt, lemon juice, soy sauce, cilantro and red curry paste and mix well
- Serve hot
- You can add vegetables of your choice. You also can add Tofu or paneer with the above mentioned vegetables.
- Red curry paste is optional and you can skip it if you do not have and can replace it with schezwan sauce for spice. Its not mandatory to add the sauce though.
- There is no specific measure for lemongrass ,kaffir lime leaves or galangal. Adding it more wont spoil your soup for sure. You can hold me on this statement. Do not be in a misconception that adding more lemongrass or lime leaves will spoil the stock.
- Adjust the lime accordingly and you can add more if you like to 🙂