We Indians love our Chinese food ! Oh yes! I dare to tell this because we have manipulated authentic Chinese food so much that we all have come up with a new cuisine “Indian Chinese” which literally suits Indian Taste-buds. If you ever happen to eat Authentic Chinese food, you will definitely know the difference. They are completely different than what we eat in our regular restaurants.
Paneer Manchurian is famous and is found in most of the restaurant menus. Deep fried or shallow fried paneer/cottage cheese is tossed in a spicy and tangy sauce. This also has onions and green bell pepper as an accompaniment to complete the dish. Only thing you should remember is, Chinese cooking has to be done on a high flame and the vegetables should be under-cooked to retain the crunch in them.Restaurant people use “ajinomoto” which is said to be unhealthy. So, make your own Indian-Chinese Manchurian at home with fresh ingredients and give your conscious little peace 🙂
To make things easier for you, I have written this in three main steps. Please follow accordingly which saves your time and lessens your confusion 🙂
Paneer/Cottage cheese : 200Gms (cut in cubes)
Onion – 1 medium (Diced)
Onion – ¼ medium (finely chopped)
Garlic – 4 small pods(finely chopped)
Ginger – 1” (grated)
Capsicum – 1 medium (Diced)
Green chilli – 1 (slit)
Maida – 2tbsp
Cornflour – 2tbsp
White pepper/Black pepper – ½ tsp
Water – 1/8 cup
Spring onions – finely chopped
Salt as required
Soy Sauce – 1tbsp
Chilli sauce – 1tsp
Tomato Ketchup – 1tsp
Chilli vinegar or plain vinegar – 1tsp
Cornstarch – 1/2tsp
We put this in three steps
- Make the sauce
- Fry the main ingredient (paneer)
- Combine and make Manchurian
- In a small bowl mix together all the ingredients written below the “for sauce” section and keep it ready till next
Step 2 :
- In a bowl, combine cornstarch, maida, salt and pepper
- Add Little water and mix this into a thin batter.
- Dip in the cubed paneer in this and let it stay for 10minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil for deepfrying and deep fry the marinated paneer.
- Keep it aside and we shall quickly get the sauce ready.
Step 3 :
- In a wok, heat 2tsp oil and allow it to heat
- Add finely chopped onion, garlic, grated ginger and slit chillies.
- Saute for a minute on high flame
- Add the sauce mix(from the step 1) and sauté
- Add diced onions and capsicum and mix on high flame.
- Adjust salt if necessary
- Add fried paneer and mix well
- Top with chopped spring onions and serve hot