This is another chaat recipe which I literally die to eat whenever I visit my mom. This type of masala puri is usually popular in the Southern states of India. But, here in Kerala, I couldn’t find a nice chaat corner which ever satisfied me. Or may be I do not know where to go which is relatively hygienic and tasty. We being health conscious now, do not prefer to eat from an unknown place. I came up with this recipe after a lot of trial and errors in Ragda. Ragda being the main ingredient completes the “Masala puri” The taste is an exact replica of what we eat from street vendor but a lot on the healthier side. We clean the dried peas , wash the vegetables before using and all these really matter when you have a vision of “Healthy life” and you have a satisfaction that Chaat is no more a junk food and is actually healthy. The Ragda here has potatoes, carrots, all Indian spices. Peas are very rich in vitamin B and vitamin C. So now you decide, Is Chaat unhealthy ???
Below is the recipe which I have apparently made many times and the taste never changed. I can vouch on this recipe 🙂
Golgappa/Papdi – 10
Ragda – 1cup
Onion – 1 medium (finelychopped)
Tomato – 1 medium (finely chopped)
Red chilli powder – generous pinch
Carrot – 1 (grated)
Coriander leaves – finely chopped
Lemon juice – to top the chaat
Chaat masala – to generously sprinkle on the chaat
Sev – To sprinkle on top of the chaat
- In a serving plate, break 4-5 golgappas/papdis
- Add ragda on top of the papdis
- Generously sprinkle red chilli powder according to your spice handling capacity
- Add other veggies i.e., finely chopped onion, grated carrots, tomatoes and coriander leaves.
- Sprinkle chaat masala on top it
- Generously add Sev and little lemon juice on top
- Serve hot.
- Ragda has to be very very hot when you make masala puris. So, keep the hot ragda on low flame when you make masala puri
- Adjust the spice level accordingly.
- Do not let the papdis soak for long. They become soggy soon after you add ragda. So immediately consume after making masalapuri