We are nearing summer, and the best way to keep ourselves hydrated is to drink lots and lots of juices. Musk-melon/Cantaloupe/Honey-dew melon is one of the choicest fruits which can be turned into a delicious drink. The muskmelon/honey-dew melon is paired with fresh coconut milk and jaggery. You can also add chopped cashew nuts and some cardamom powder to enrich the taste. The dessert is served along with thin beaten rice as an accompaniment.
Hershaley can be of any fruit or also mixed fruits. If you use banana as main ingredient its called Kele hershaley and if you use muskmelon (known as chibbad in konkani) its called Chibbda hershaley. This is a very flavourful cool traditional summer drink. Its very healthy and the small chunks of Musk-melon gives the whole drink a special and an outstanding taste.
Make sure the musk-melon/cantaloupe/honey-dew melon is ripened enough else they don’t taste good. If your musk-melon is not ripen, keep it on your kitchen counter till it fully ripens and then use. The skin should easily come out when you peel them and thats how you get the soft melon pieces which simply melts in your mouth 🙂
Apart from its taste, musk-melon is a “super-food” and consists of 90% water in it. That’s the main reason we eat them to keep ourselves hydrated. These are also loaded with lots of nutrients and vitamins necessary for our healthy diet.
Muskmelon – 1 (chopped into tiny pieces)
Jaggery – 1/4 cup (grated)
Grated coconut – 1cup (tightly packed)
Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
Cashews – afew (broken)
Kesar/Saffron strands – optional (for garnish only)
Poha (thin variety)/ Beaten rice – 1tbsp
- Grind the grated coconut with 1 cup of hot water and extract the coconut milk in a deep bowl with the help of a muslin cloth.
- Repeat the procedure twice.
- Now add grated jaggery to the bowl and mix well till both the ingredients combine well.
- Add the chopped musk melon and broken cashews to this and mix well.
- Add cardamom powder and mix well.
- Refrigerate for an hour.
- Serve this chilled with thin poha as an accompaniment.
- First you pour an appropriate amount of juice with the pieces in a serving bowl and top it with beated rice and serve. As it is thin variety poha, it doesnt take long to soak and absorb all flavours.
- You can skip adding poha and just relish the drink when its cold 🙂
- Adjust the amount of sweetness accordingly.
- Garnish with kesar if necessary. The traditional recipe doesn’t use kesar in it.