Chettinad chicken curry or Chettinad veg curry is known for its flavours, spice and aroma. This has an excellent combination of spices which makes this dish outstanding. This dish is not only famous in South India but all over the world. To make this curry, we first need to grind few spices. That’s what I have done today. We roast the ingredients and powder them. Store it in an air tight container and it lasts for about a month. When you want to make chettinad curry, just take appropriate amount of chettinad curry powder and grated coconut, grind this to a smooth paste and your base masala is ready. This is then fried along with onions,tomatoes and ginger-garlic paste and add chicken or veggies. Your done 🙂 Make this powder and keep this ready. Saves your time in cooking during the weekdays. If you want, use chicken as a main ingredient or mixed veggies as one. Trust me both taste immensely great 🙂
Below are the steps I followed to make this Chettinad powder. I store this upto a month in an airtight container.
Coriander seeds – 3tbsp
Red chilli – 6
Cumin seeds/Jeera – 1tsp
Whole peppercorns – 2tsp
Fennel Seeds – 1tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1/2tsp
Cinnamon stick – 1″
Green Cardamom – 3
Black Cardamom – 1
Cloves – 4
Kalpasi/Black stone flower/Kewra/patthar ke phool – afew
Star anise – 1
Curry leaves – 7-8springs
Tamarind – marble sized
- Dry roast Coriander seeds for few minutes.
- Add rest of the ingredients and roast till the curry leaves loose all moisture.
- Grind this in a dry mixer grinder.
- Store in an airtight container.
Method to use the powder:
- For 2 cups of chopped mixed veggies, take 4 tbsp of grated coconut and 3tbsp of this powder and grind to a smooth paste with water.
- If your using chicken, for 750 gms of chicken pieces use 4ttbsp of grated coconut and 3 tbsp of powder and make a smooth paste using water in a mixer
- In a kadhai, add oil, onion, ginger-garlic paste, saute.
- Add chopped tomatoes
- Add Chicken/ Veggies of your choice. Saute well.
- Add the ground masala and fry till oil seperates
- Add chopped green chillies
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot 🙂