Almonds are the edible seeds which grow on the tree “PRUNUS DULCIS” more commonly called almond tree:)
I love all types of nuts. Be it almonds, cashews, hazelnuts… I love them and i know many of my friends who love them too. They provide us with immense health benefits when used moderately.
Almonds are an incredibly popular tree nut. Despite being high in fat they are highly nutritious and healthy. They give out a massive amount of nutrients which we require.
We all make the regular coriander chutney or peanut chutney or tomato chutmey for idlies and dosas. I also make this almond chutney which goes too good with dosa and idli. This chutney has all the goodness of almonds and spiciness of green chilli 🙂
There are several ways to make this chutney. You can blanch the almonds or soak them overnight and discard the skin and use or directly use. Trust me! the taste differs in each type of these. I suggest you to try all three types 🙂
Now lets know about the goodness of almonds. Almonds contain a lot of healthy fibres and fats. They are loaded with antioxidants. These help you and protect you against the oxidative stress. The powerful antioxidants are present in the brown layer of the almond(skin) and this is the main reason blancing and discarding the skin is not much entertained and is not good from a health perspective.
Almonds – a handful
Grated coconut – 3tbsp
Green chilli – 2
Garlic – 1 pod
Salt to taste.
Curd/Yogurt – 4tbsp
Coriander leaves – a few
- In a mixer grinder, add grated coconut, green chillies, almonds, ginger, garlic and curd/yogurt. Grind into a smooth paste.
- Add coriander leaves and grind for a second or two (we donot want the coriander to completely blend in)
- Transfer in a serveware and adjust salt.
- Serve with dosa or idli 🙂
- Like i always say, you can adjust the spice level accordingly. The chillies which i used were very spicy so i just used 2 small ones.
- You can exclude the garlic on a no garlic no onion day 🙂 That tastes very good too.
- If you want the chutney colour to be green then add coriander leaves in the step one with all the other ingredients 🙂