Khandvi is a famous Gujarati snack. Though its a Gujarati snack, its also loved by non-Gujarati community too. I have already written the regular khandvi post. The steps and ingredients remain same but with a little alteration. We will slightly increase the quantity of gram flour and cook for a little longer time until the mixture is thick enough to get into the chakli press. And as we press the dough for chaklis, we will follow the same procedure in khandvi noodles.
Gram Flour – 3/4 cup
Yogurt – 3/4 cup
Water – 1 cup
Ginger – 1″
Turmeric powder – 1/2tsp
Green chilli – 2nos
Lemon juice – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil – 1tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida/ hing – a pinch
Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 spring
Grated coconut – for garnish
- In a small mixer jar, grind the green chilli and ginger to a smooth paste without adding water.
- In a deep mixing bowl, add Yogurt and water and mix till well blended.
- Add the green chilli and ginger paste, turmeric powder, salt, lemon juice and mix well with a whisk
- Add sieved gram flour in parts and mix it thoroughly with the help if a whisk. No lumps should be formed.
- Now transfer the gram flour and yogurt batter into a heavy bottomed pan and heat with continuous stirring
- The flame should be on low.
- After 7-8 minutes, the mixture begins to thicken. Cook till done and the batter doesnt stick to the bottom of the pan.
- To check if its done, taste a bit of the mixture and you shouldn’t feel the raw taste of the flour.
- Now take a portion of the batter and stuff it in the chakli press and on a greased plate press the dough.
- Let it cool completely and only after that transfer it carefully in a serving bowl
- For seasoning, add oil in a small pan allow it to heat
- Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Allow it to crackle.
- Add asafoetida and curry leaves and wait till the curry leaves curl
- Top the seasoning on the rolled out khandvi
- Garnish it with freshly grated coconut and serve
- When you make regular khandvi, after you’ve done with spreading the batter to roll them out, add 1/4 cup roasted gram flour and mix till the dough thickens and doesnt stick to the bottom of the pan. Next, continue with the khandvi noodles step9 🙂