One of the famous rice recipes also known as Tamarind rice.This is the most common rice preparation in south Indian states of Andra Pradesh,Karnataka and TamilNadu. “Puli” refers to the sour taste and “ogre” refers to the seasoning we add while making the rice. Both put together is puliogre. A perfect Lunch-box recipe 🙂
Puliogre is usually cooked on the special occasions and festival days. These are also served a Prasadam in temples.
To make Puliogre/Tamarind rice, the main ingredient is the tamarind “gojju” or “chutney” which is then mixed with the steamed and cooled rice. I have written the step by step process of making this spicy tamarind gojju which you can make and preserve in an air tight container for about month under refrigeration 🙂
Measurements used: 1cup-250gms
Tamarind – 100gms (seedless)
Jaggery – 3/4 cup(grated)
Water – 2cup (add more if required)
Rasam powder – 5tbsp
Peanuts – 1/4 cup
Curry leaf – 2 springs
Black Sesame seeds – 1tbsp
Oil – 3/4cup
- Wash the tamarind with water and soak it in 2 cups of water overnight
- Next morning, Extract the pulp to the maximum you can and strain the paste using a seive
- Transfer this to a large pan and add little water. Stir
- Bring this to boil and keep this on medium flame till the tamarind paste thickens
- In another pan, dry roast black sesame seeds and powder them using a mortar and pestle. Keep this aside
- When the tamarind pulp thickens add rasam powder and mix well
- Add grated jaggery and mix well
- Let the mixture boil for ten minutes.
- Add Salt and the powdered black sesame powder.
- Let this boil for another ten minutes.
- In a pan, Add 3/4 cup oil and allow it to heat.
- Add curry leaves and peanuts to this and fry for few seconds till peanuts turn crisp.
- Top this seasoning on the tamarind mixture and mix well till everything is incorporated well.
- In step 2 you can adjust the water quantity accordingly but do not add more water and make the pulp very liquidy.
- The spice level can be manipulated with the amount of rasam powder you add.
- You can also use red chillies in step 12 while seasoning.
- You can store this in an airtight container and refrigerate it.
- All you have to do is mix 2 tbsp of this mixture to 200gms of boiled and cooled rice thoroughly. You can next season this with ghee and mustard seeds further and toss the rice for few minutes and serve 🙂