Stew can be of various types. Its basically a vegetable or meat cooked in a liquid with little to no spice served in the resultant gravy. The base of a stew can be any liquid. Like, milk, coconut milk, broth etc…Seasoning and flavours differ from types of stews.
The stew which i have written down here today is coconut milk based. The chicken in this particular recipe is buttery in texture and just melts in your mouth. Trust me! this recipe never failed me and that is the reason i wanted to share it with you all. If you have less time for cooking, go for a tinned coconut milk instead of extracting one. The extraction of coconut milk is the only time consuming thing in this and nothing else. If you use tinned coconut milk, your stew will be ready in less than 20 minutes 🙂
Chicken stew go well with soft and spongy dosas or sannas or appam or just plain rice.
The authentic stew has chopped carrots and french beans too. They also add cashew paste to the stew.My family always had a thumbs down for carrots and beans or cashews in chicken stew. They always want chicken chicken in the chicken stew and nothing else. That’s why, i do not add carrots and beans. You take a call and decide if you want to add or no 🙂 I got a tip from a good friend of mine that the sweetness of cashew paste might be reduced by soaking the cashews for 10 minutes in water and a tbsp of vinegar and then grind. Though i have never tried this, i thought i shall share it with you so you could try if you wish to 🙂
Chicken – 600gms
Grated coconut – 2 cups(tightly packed)
Onion – 1 medium ( sliced)
Potat0 – 1 medium ( cut in wedges)
Green chilli – 1 (optional)
Peppercorns – 2
Cinnamon stick – 1″
Cardamom – 2
Bay leaf – 1
Cloves – 2
Salt to taste
Ghee/Clarified butter – 1 tbsp
Curry leaves – 1 spring
- Extract coconut milk in two batches. Keep the thick one aside and also the thin milk aside.
- In a deep pan, add 1/2 tbsp ghee and allow it to heat
- Add the whole spices i.e., Bay leaf,Cardamom,Cinnamon, Cloves and peppercorns.
- Add thinly sliced onions and saute till they turn translucent
- Add slit green chilli and potato wedges
- Add cleaned and washed chicken pieces
- Saute for few minutes.
- Add salt
- Add thin coconut milk and cook the chicken on low-medium flame. This might approximately take 15 minutes.
- Add the remaining thick coconut milk and bring this to boil.
- For seasoning, add ghee/clarified butter in a small pan, once hot add curry leaves and wait for it to curl. Top this on the chicken stew.
- Serve with appam or dosas.
- Adjust the consistency of the stew by adding little warm water if need be.
- Adding green chilli is optional. You can blindly omit it. I like the spiciness of green chilli over pepper and thats why i added.
- If you are using tinned coconut milk, add half the tin during the first half of cooking the chicken and the rest towards the end of recipe.
- Its very important to cook the chicken in the coconut milk ONLY. This plays a vital role in giving you a buttery cooked chicken which just melts in your mouth 🙂