Vegetable ghee rice goes good with any curries or just plain dal. This yellow rice is very easy to make which demands only few vegetables of your choice and few whole spices.
These can be served with vegetable kurma which is an excellent combination. The spicy coconut based curry goes too well with the vegetable ghee rice or chicken korma with this rice:)
I try and keep my recipes very simple and sweet. Cooking time should be short so that you all don’t find cooking difficult and actually love cooking 🙂
I have different quality of rice for this. Its called Ghee rice/Jeera Rice. These are short grains but a little fat compared to the regular sona masuri we use. The aroma of this rice boosts up the flavour of the ghee rice. This rice is available in any of the super markets.
Measurements used – 1cup = 250gms
Jeera rice – 1cup
Onion – 1 medium (finely chopped)
Green Chilli- 2(Slit)
Carrot – 1/4 cup ( finely chopped)
Beans – 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
Bay leaf – 1
Cloves – 2
Cinnamon stick – 1″
Cardamom – 2
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp.
Ghee/Clarified butter – 2 to 3 tbsp
Vegetable stock cube – 1 (optional)
Salt to taste
- Wash rice thoroughly and soak it in water for 20 minutes
- In a pressure cooker, add ghee/clarified butter
- Add whole spices i.e., Bay leaf,Cinnamon stick, cardamom, cloves and green chillies.
- Add finely chopped onion and saute till translucent
- Add chopped carrot and beans to it and saute on medium flame for few minutes
- Add turmeric powder
- Meantime dilute the vegetable stock cube in a glass full of hot water.
- Add this to the veggies plus a cup of plain hot water.
- Bring this mixture to boil.
- Drain the rice and add into the pressure cooker and mix well
- Adjust salt accordingly.
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker and simmer the gas flame to low.
- Cook on this without fixing the whistle to the pressure cooker. Keep this on the stove for 10-12 minutes.
- Turn off the burner and let it stay for 10-15 minutes before you open the lid.
- Serve hot with Vegetable kurma or any gravy of your choice
- If ypu donot have a stock cube you can always go ahead and add just water.
- Go easy on the salt. Stock cubes have salt in them.