Instant idlies with no soaking or grinding. This breakfast recipe falls under south indian cuisine and is very healthy as it comprises of dal and goodness of semolina and curd. This recipe is nonetheless very easy to prepare and is far better than the store bought rava idli mix. Who wouldn’t like to feed our families with healthy and no added preservative food ? This rava idli powder can also be stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator. It stays good for few weeks at least. Just mix curd and few other spices to this and your breakfast is ready in 15 minutes 🙂
The below recipe of Rava idli goes well with a spicy or tangy chutney. If you want a recipe for the spicy and tangy chutney click here or a simple coconut-coriander chutney
Semolina – 1 cup
Curd – 1/2 cup
Mustard seeds – 1tsp
Urad dal/ White lentil – 1 tsp
Chana dal- 1 tsp
Asafoetida – 1/4tsp
Curry leaf – 1 spring (chopped)
Cashews – fistful ( broken into pieces)
Green chilli – 3 (finely chopped)
Ginger – 1″ (grated)
Water – as required
Salt to taste
Eno fruit salt – 1tsp
Ghee – 2 tbsp
Coriander leaves – finely chopped
Oil – for greasing the idli stand
- In a kadhai, add ghee and allow it to heat
- Add mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, chopped curry leaves, broken cashews and asafoetida.
- Fry for few minutes. Add rava/semolina and roast the semolina on low-medium flame. till the raw smell disappears and rava slightly changes colour.
- Keep aside and let it cool
- In a bowl, put curd, green chillies, grated ginger, coriander leaves, salt and the roasted semolina mixture.
- Add little water if its too dry. Make sure there are no lumps in it.
- Switch on the steamer and allow it to heat.
- Add eno salt to the rava batter and grease the idli moulds with oil and steam it for 15 minutes.
- Once the idlies are done, give them a resting time of a couple of minutes. It only helps you unmould the idlies easily
- Serve it with the desired chutney of your choice 🙂
- Try and use sour curd
- You can also add freshly grated carrot in the step 5
- Do not let the batter stay for long after you add eno fruit salt.
- After step 3, you can store this powder in an airtight container and refrigerate it and use it whenever you like as an instant mix by continuing with step 5