Bored making sadwiches from the left-over bread? Bread upma is nothing but Bread pieces sauted with few onions and tomatoes. Bread upma is just the replacement of rava from a rava upma. But we donot add water in this recipe. This is the easiest and instant breakfast you can opt using your excess bread lying in your refrigerator. Its healthy and quick too.You can also use whole wheat bread or brown bread to calm your soul of eating white bread which has maida 🙂 I always look forward to make bread upma and not sandwiches when I have excess bread.
Try this recipe and you will definitely appreciate it 🙂
Bread slices – 10 (cut into cubes)
Mustard seeds – 1tsp
White split lentil/urad dal – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 2tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4tsp
onion – 1 medium(finely chopped)
Tomato – 1 medium (finely chopped)
Green chilly – 3 (chopped)
Asafoetida – 1/4tsp (optional)
Curry leaves – 1spring
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves finely chopped
- In a pan/kadhai, add oil and allow it to heat.
- Add mustard seeds,urad dal and once they crackle add curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Add onions and turmeric powder. Saute till onions are translucent
- Add green chillies
- Add tomatoes and fry till the tomatoes are not mushy
- Add salt and mix well
- Add bread cubes to this and mix well.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve hot
I have used my 4 day old bread which was in the refrigerator before i used and the moisture content was less. And I like the bread pieces to remain intact rather than them getting soggy with the tomatoes. If you like the bread to be soggy, use bread which is quite soft and also in step 5 do not dry out the tomatoes and add bread cubes soon after the tomatoes turn soft. And if you want the bread cubes to remain in tack and the bread which you have is soft, then what you can do is, put the bread cubes in a microwave bowl and microwave it for 30-40 secs(in case of 10bread slices)and keep it aside till it cools down. The moisture would have evaporated when it cools down.
- You also can boiled potatoes or finely chopped carrots and beans if you have after step 3
- You can also mix spice powders kg you want to make it “masaledar” but we prefer going easy with spices for breakfast.