As we read in our earlier post about not wasting food and recreating a new dish out of it, today we make Lemon Rice which is quite famous and very quick to make. On a busy morning, if you have to pack lunch boxes, cook for breakfast, get ready to office etc etc … lemon rice helps you save time. You can pack it as a lunch meal.
In many of our south Indian wedding platter we see a rice item served on the left side of banana leaf. Its a tradition followed in the place where i come from. “A Coloured Rice” is what the head cook asks before setting the menu for a wedding or a ceremony. It can be Lemon Rice, Raw Mango Rice, Puliogare or anything.
I have a very small twist made in the traditional form of lemon rice by adding lemon zest. I liked the changes made and will always add it hereon. What you do is the lemon which you use to extract the juice for this rice, grate the zest first and extract the lemon juice. So you can use the lemon in 2 ways and not waste the yellow zest part. Make sure you donot grate the white part with it because that is where the bitterness is 🙂 Grate only the yellow part
You can also have a look on reusing the leftover rice for other recipe Raw mango Rice
Boiled Leftover rice – 1 cup
Onion – 1 (medium, finely chopped)
Curry-leaves – 1 spring
Green Chilly – 4 (chopped or slit)
Mustard seeds – 1tsp
Urad dal/Split white Lentil – 1tsp
Ghee/clarified butter – 1tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Hing/ Asafoetida .1/4 tsp (Optional)
Peanuts (moongphali) – 2 tbsp
Zest of one lime
Juice of one lime
Coriander Leaves – Finely chopped
- Take a Pan and heat ghee/clarified butter
- Add Mustard seeds, Urad dal, Peanuts, Hing, Curry leaves, Slit Green chillies till peanuts turn brown (not dark-brown, you might burn them)
- Add chopped onions to this and sweat them.
- Add turmeric and continue sauteing
- Add the leftover rice and mix well
- Add salt, Lemon Zest and juice of one lime to this and mix well.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve.
- Do not saute on high flame as they tend to turn brown on the edges and remain under-cooked at the centre.We don’t want brown onions and we just want them translucent.
- You can also add Broken Cashews instead of moonphali/peanuts. They taste good too.
- Not just with Leftover rice. You can add freshly prepared rice as well. But all you have to keep in mind is to wait till it cools completely and the rice grains dont stick toeach other.
- One of the easiest and quick