We all know about pepper chicken with pepper being a dominating flavour in it. This recipe is very similar to it with a little addition of soy sauce and green chillies. I absolutely love the flavour of this tangy pepper chicken.
This is one of the easiest and most loved recipe in my family which never failed me 🙂
I adapted this recipe from my sister in law. Here, I did not saute the chicken till it dried. You can dry it out till all the moisture evaporates and serve it as a starter as well. I wanted to make a side dish today for my ghee rice and so I did not dry the soy pepper chicken.
Pepper powder – 1tbsp(pounded)
Dark soy sauce – 1tbsp
Green chillies – 2 (chopped)
Curry leaf – 1spring
Turmeric powder – 1tsp
Onion – 1 (medium)
Ginger garlic paste – 1tsp
Ghee/clarifiedbutter – 2tbsp
Coriander leaves – finely chopped
Salt to taste
- Clean the chicken and marinate it with turmeric powder and salt. Set aside
- In a pan/kadhai, add ghee and once hot add onions, curry leaves and green chillies. saute till its translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste to this and fry till the raw smell of ginger garlic is gone.
- Add freshly ground pepper powder to this. Fry for few seconds
- Add chicken and 1tbsp of soy sauce to this and mix thoroughly
- Close the lid and cook on low to medium flame stirring in regular intervals.
- Check for salt and add if necessary
- Once the chicken is cooked add freshly chopped coriander leaves and mix
- Serve hot with ghee rice or chapati.
- You can also use mutton instead of chicken. But you will have to pressure cook mutton till soft. Approximately for 3-4 whistles.
- Adjust the amount of pepper accordingly(we all have different palates)
- I suggest you to freshly pound pepper and add. This gives a very good flavour than the packed ones.