Dal khichdi is very famous for all Indians. Every Indian household has its own method of making khichdi. Some make masala khichdi and some make plain by just adding few spices. It’s basically made by combining rice and dal. We use split green gram here because its very soothing to stomach and good for digestion. This pongal is also served in many Hindi temples as a prasadam. My mother makes pongal in a different method. She adds mustard seeds and also grated coconut. I shall write down that when I make it next.
The below particular recipe can be given to infants above 10months of age. These have cumin seeds which helps in digestion, split green gram which digests easily, a dash of pepper which keeps them away from chest congestion or relives them if they have any and also turmeric which acts as an antisceptic and is well known for its medicinal values
Rice – 1cup
Split green gram – 1/2 cup or a little more
Ghee – 2tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1tsp
Peppercorns – 4-5
Curry leaves – 1spring
Turmeric powder – 1/2tsp
Ginger – 1″grated
Cashew nuts – a fistful (optional)
Salt to taste
- Dry roast the dal and rice in a wide pan till aromatic
- Wash this thoroughly with water and pressure cook it with 3cups water and salt upto two whistles.
- In a kadhai/pan heat 2tbsp ghee.
- Add cumin seeds, peppercorns, curry leaves, grated ginger, cashew nuts
- Fry till cashew nuts turn brown.
- Turn off the gas stove and add turmeric powder. (Else the powder might burn)
- Now add this to the cooked dal and rice. On a medium flame Mix well till the seasoning mixes well with the rice.
- You can adjust the consistency by adding water.