Gratin is a French culinary technique in which an ingredient is topped with either breadcrumbs or grated cheese or egg or butter. This is usually made in a shallow dish and placed on the top rack of oven so the upper coil helps the cheese to melt n caramalize.
This is one of the quick n yummy dish.
The creamy cheese sauce and the tender potatoes in this classic French dish combine to make an addictive experience.
I have kept potato as a main ingredient which is topped with white sauce and grated cheese.
Potato – 2 medium (sliced round into 1/4 inch with skin)
Onion – 1 (sliced round)
Garlic – 5pods (crushed and chopped)
Pepper – 1/2tsp
All purpose flour – 2tbsp
Cheese slice – 2
Butter – 2tbsp
Milk – 250ml
Cilantro – 2tbsp
Cheddar cheese – 100 cms(grated)
Salt to taste
- Slice the potatoes and dip them in water till we need it.
- In a pan melt butter and garlic and saute for few seconds and then flour to this. Saute this for another few seconds.Donot let the flour burn or turn Brown.
- Gradually add milk to this and whisk so that no lumps are formed.Add chopped cilantro and cheese slices to this and mix till well combined.
- Keep this aside.
- Now take a shallow baking dish and grease with butter.
- Now layer the potatoes evenly. second layer, layer the onion rings. Drizzle some salt n pepper. Now evenly pour the white sauce.
- Next spread the grated cheese
- Repeat the procedure and the top most layer must be grated cheese
- Add few butter cubes here n there on top.
- Now place this in a preheated oven at 180C for 20mins covered with an aluminium foil and next 10 mins without that.So the top layer melts and is brown.