Many feel that lasagne is a tough dish to make. But I feel its the easiest if you know what to do and are quick. Lasagne is made in four steps
- Make red sauce
- Make white sauce
- Prepare the stuffing
To make red sauce you need
Garlic – 4pods
Onion – 1/2 medium(finely chopped )
Olive oil – 1tbsp
Chilli flakes – 2tsp
Mixed herbs – 1tsp
Salt to taste
- Blanche the tomatoes and peel the skin. Chop these into small pieces. Set aside till needed.
- In a saucepan, add oil and once it’s hot add garlic and finely chopped onions. Saute for few minutes.
- Add blanched tomatoes to this and little water.Saute for few minutes.
- Add salt, chilli flakes, and mixed herbs. Bring this to boil.
- Set this aside till next.
To make the stuffing
Mushrooms – 2cups
Spinach – 2cups
Garlic – 4pods
Onion – 1 (finely chopped)
Green chilli – 1 (optional)
Ground pepper – 2tsp
Olive oil – 2tbsp
Salt to taste
- In a pan, add olive oil and saute garlic and onions till translucent.
- Now add green chilli, spinach and mushrooms to this and saute.
- Add salt to this and saute till the water completely evaporates.
- Now add pepper to this and mix well
- Keep this aside till next
To make the white sauce
Maida/all purpose flour – 2tbsp
Milk – 250ml
Butter – 2tbsp
Garlic – 1pod (crushed)
Salt as required
Oregano – 2tsp
- In a saucepan add butter.Allow it to melt a little bit. Add garlic.Add all purpose flour/Maida to this and fry. Care must be taken so that the flour doesn’t turn Brown.
- Add milk little at a time and whisk so that no lumps are formed. continue with the rest of milk and add oregano and salt to this. Adjust and add milk if it requires.Keep this aside for a while till we gather rest of the ingredients.
We will also need the below for layering,
- Cheddar cheese – 100gms(grated)
- Mozzarella cheese 100gms(grated)
- Lasagne sheets – 6 (baked)
Now we do the layering.
- Pre heat the oven at 180C
- Grease a wide baking dish with butter.
- Add red sauce at the bottom layer
- Arrange the lasagne sheets in one direction.
- Now again add the red sauce and spread
- Spread the stuffing evenly.
- Top it with the white sauce evenly so that the stuffing is covered completely
- Now add the grated cheddar and mozzarella cheese.
- Now place the lasagne sheets on top of this covering it completely.
- Repeat the process and end in a way that the grated cheese comes at the top most part.
- Add two or three dolops of butter here n there on the cheese.
- Cover this with an aluminium foil and place it in the oven and bake it for 15-20 minutes covered with the foil and the next ten minutes without the foil or till the cheese on the top part is caramelized. Once done keep the baking dish on the kitchen table for 10-15mins before you serve allowing it to cool a little.
- Lasagne is ready! serve this warm.