We always crave for those phulkas which are very light and soft. But the kneading or the mixing goes wrong and the phulkas might not fluff when you make them. Here I try my best to pen down what I follow in my kitchen to get the perfect phulkas which never let me down. This is the same process I follow and its the same result I get each time.
Whole wheat flour – 1cup
Water -1/4cup or a little more approximately
Salt to taste
Ghee – 1tsp
- In a large bowl, seive the whole wheat flour twice.
- To this add salt to taste and dry mix till well combined.
- Now add HOT water to this little by little and mix till you get a firm but soft dough.
- Rub a tsp of ghee on your palm and knead the dough for extra 5 minutes. Kneading the dough makes a lot difference and plays a very important rolein fluffing the phulkas.
- Now cover the mixing bowl with a plate and set it aside for 5-10mins.
- Roll out the phulkas and roast them on the tawa. With the help of a muslin cloth pat one side of the chapathi and next place the other side on the gas flame. Carefully take it out using a tong.
- Using hot water is an important step.Add water little by little and not once at a time. This helps in getting the right texture of the dough.
- Setting the dough aside closed gives it time absorb all the moisture content and give us very light phulkas.
- Knead the dough for a minimum of five minutes.
- Phulkas should never be big in size. The size should not increase 5-6″ diameter.