This prawn curry is an authentic konkani cuisine. And is eaten as a gravy with boiled rice. I love the strong taste of hing/asafoetida and coconut oil. The authenticity remains in using the coconut oil ONLY. So whoever doesnt like the taste of coconut oil or hing can ignore the recipe. Some people don’t use coconut oil for health issues but i just can’t imagine using any other oil on top of this curry. I personally feel the sea food goes well only with coconut oil. That may be a fry , masala fry or any seafood gravy.
Prawn – 250gms
Roasted red chillies – 10-12
Tamarind paste – 1/4tsp
Grated coconut – 1cup
Water – 1cup
Turmeric – 1/4tsp
Coconut oil – 2tbsps
Asafoetida – one small ball (hard hing )
Salt to taste.
- Mix the hing with little amount of water and set it aside till the asafoetida dissolves.
- Meanwhile in a mixer jar add the grated coconut, roasted red chillies, tamarind and grind till smooth paste.
- Wash and devein the prawn and wash it thoroughly with water. add a tsp of salt and 1/4 turmeric and marinade it for ten minutes.
- In a wide pan add the ground masala and a cup of water and bring it to boil.
- Add the prawns to this and also the asafoetida mixed with water. Mix well and close the lid and cook on medium flame till prawns are well cooked but not over cooked. over cooking results in hard prawns
- Add coconut oil and close the lid will you serve.
- Serve hot with rice.
- You can mix two different types of roasted red chillies while grinding.
- Deveining the prawns is a must. If you Do not devein, you might end up having stomach related issues.
Stay tuned!!! stay blessed!!!