Dark leafy greens like spinach are important for skin and hair, bone health, and provide protein, iron, vitamins and minerals. Consuming spinach include improving blood glucose control in diabetics, lowering the risk of cancer, lowering blood pressure, improving bone health and also lowering the risk of developing asthma and more.
Now you know why Popeye was always onto something after eating spinach from his box. Palak is a super food, cooks quickly and is very low in calories. I will try to note as many recipes I can using palak and pen down.
Palak – 1 cup ( washed and chopped)
Onion – 1/2 cup (finely chopped )
Moong dal – 1/2 cup
Tomato – 1 cup (finely chopped )
Red chilli powder – 1tsp
Jeerapowder – 1/2 tsp
Kitchen king masala – 1/4 tsp
Ginger – 1″
Garlic – 1 tsp (finely chopped)
Oil – 2tsp
Salt to taste
1. Wash the palak leaves thoroughly and chop them.
2. In a pressure cooker, add 1cup moong dal and 1/2 chopped tomatoes and pressure cook it for two whistles. Keepit aside till needed.
3. In a wide pan add oil. once it heats up add garlic and onion.Fry till the onions become translucent.
4. Add remaining tomatoes and fry till the oil seperates. Add palak and fry till the leaves are tender.
5. Add the dry ingredients to it and the cooked dal.
6. Add salt and cook for 5 mins.
7.Once done grate the ginger finely and add it to the prepared dal and close the lid.
8. Serve hot with jeera rice.
1.You can use the combination of tuvar dal and masoor dal instead of moong dal. I used moong dal because it doesn’t give in to the gastrointestinal problems and is good for kids.
2. I shall write the pressure cook method as well very soon 🙂